Homemade Energy Bars

I’m a huge fan of energy bars.  I eat them quite a bit each week when I’m running around and need a quick snack.  I’m pretty particular about what I like — they must contain  peanut butter or some kind of nut and they can’t be too sweet.  I found this easy recipe for homemade bars from Averie over at Love Veggies and Yoga.  Hers are no-bake and vegan…but don’t let that stop you.  :-) In fact, after making these, you might not ever buy a bar again.

I love that you can add whatever you want to the mix to make these bars your own. For my next batch I’ll experiment with different flavors and textures, but for my first try I kept it pretty simple.  They only took  me 15 minutes to throw together,  below are the directions and some pictures.

Gather up all your ingredients and throw them in a bowl.

I did not do this, but I recommend you start with a layer of mashed banana, then add your ingredients. I skipped the banana and mine were a little crumbly.  So first, mash a banana into the bottom of the bowl, then layer in your ingredients.

I used:

• 1.5 cup McCain’s quick cooking oats
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup chopped unsweetened cherries and a handful of raisin mix (any dried fruit will work)
  • 1/2 cup chocolate chips
  • 1/2 cup maple syrup (or agave, honey)
  • 1/2 cup peanut butter (or any nut butter)
  • 2 tbsp ground flax seed
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract

After everything is mixed up, it will look something like this.  If it’s too dry (mine was a bit) you can add a little coconut oil or more maple syrup.

Transfer and press the mixture into a tupperware-type container.  Freeze for a few hours!

After a few hours, slice the semi-frozen mixture into whatever size you want.

I wrapped them up individually and will store in the freezer.

These bars are vegan, dairy free, gluten free (if you use GF oats), and have no artificial sweeteners.

You can beef up the protein level by adding protein powder to the mix or increase fiber by tossing in some oat bran.  You can also add chopped nuts or change the taste completely by experimenting with different nut butters.   The possibilities are endless!

Do you make your own energy or protein bars?  What’s your favorite add-in?

Join thousands of others who are getting inspired and taking action each week with Danielle!

No spam here. Unsubscribe at any time.

35 replies
    • Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

Thanks, Averie! Cory is how I found your blog. :) These bars are great, thank YOU for the recipe. I still need to perfect the technique though, as mine were a little crumbly without the banana.

1. Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga
    Averie @ Love Veggies and Yoga says:

Yes you have to use a banana, well you don’t “have to”, but I did in my original recipe and if you don’t, they will be a bit crumbly…or you have to add more nut butter, coconut oil, add an egg and bake them, there are ways around it but just use it, unless you have good reason not to, is my advice.

2. Danielle Omar
    Danielle Omar says:

I thought the banana would be too sweet but I will def use it next time. Although using more peanut butter is never a problem. :) THANKS!

3. Sally Kuzemchak
    Sally Kuzemchak says:

Can’t wait to try these. Since I’m not eating sugar, I’m going to try the banana, plus oats, nut butter, non-fat dry milk powder, flax, and maybe some dried fruit. Will let you know how it goes. Thanks for the recipe! (Great photos too!)

• Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

Hi Angelia, I have not done an official calorie count on the bars, but I would estimate they are around 200 calories, depending on the ingredients! They make about 10 bars!

• Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

Hi Ryan…you don’t cook them at all! You just mix up the batter and spread into a container, then freeze for a few hours. Once they’re solid, then you slice them, wrap them up, and store in fridge or freezer. They are no-bake!

4. Lulu
    Lulu says:

Hi Danielle! I recieved an email from my son’s teacher last night saying that he told her I could make Vegan cookies for class tomorrow, lol! I remembered this recipe because Suz passed it on to me from you and I already had the Love Veggies and Yoga blog as a favorite! This will be perfect for my son and I to make tonight for his class tomorrow, especially since it’s no bake! I’m going to use sunflower seed butter. I’ll let you know how it goes! Thanks!!!

5. Lulu
    Lulu says:

They turned out great! I skipped the chocolate chips, even though I had lots. My son and I have been craving sweets too much, so I figured it would be best to skip them;) I used sunflower seed butter, which was really great in it! And I used dried cranberries. Everything else I kept the same. Mine got soft really fast when I took them out of the freezer. I think the banana I used was too big. Maybe I’ll try half next time or add in extra flax meal or raw protein powder. So many possibilities! Fun!

6. Danielle Omar
    Danielle Omar says:

Yes! I have made them with or without the banana. Without the banana they are a little crumbly, but still really good. My next batch I will use half a banana and see how they turn out. Glad you like them!

7. Aimee
    Aimee says:

Yum! I’m on a 30-day cleanse now where I’m learning the benefits of why I should stick to my vegan & non-dairy ways, but also about how effective the non-gluten lifestyle is. It’s a work in progress, but it looks like I’ll be adding this recipe to my toolkit! Thanks!

8. Margo DeGange
    Margo DeGange says:

Yum Yum. Ok, THIS is delish-i-ocity!

I will definitely share this with my daughter and my son’s girlfriend. We have a houseful of healthy eaters here and this is valuable information.

Thanks Danielle for always keeping us healthy!

9. Energy bar
    Energy bar says:

Here here to adding coconut oil to the bars! It acts as a natural preservative and provides a good source of fuel as it is a medium chain fatty acid. Also, you could try a “balls” format for a recipe like this or something similar.

10. PLee
    PLee says:

Thanks for sharing this great yet simple recipe. On the oats, can regular oats be used instead? Will it alter the texture? Would toasting the oats first give it some crunch?

• Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

Sure, you can use any kind of oats. I don’t know if toasting will make a difference, but you can certainly give it a try!!

11. michael
    michael says:

I am advisor of culinary arts at FIT.
    We tried substituting the banana with some soaked dried dates and raisins.
    Worked great at keeping the bars from crumbling

12. Sesh
    Sesh says:

Took these camping. They were wonderful. In the desert heat they melted in their little wraps and we wound up eating the most wonderful gooey mess while hiking up the side of the mountains. We even left little tidbits for the land spirits (we were on a Native American reservation). I plan to make more of these with different sweetners and keep them in the car for snacks.

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

1. […] and gluten free).  Hemp Pro 50 is perfect for blending in smoothies, adding to cereal or to your homemade energy bars!   It also contains 4 grams of fiber and 1200 mg of omega […]

2. […] No bake vegan energy bars, don’t let those fancy words fool you, yum! via Food Confidence […]

3. […] = [];}My husband was looking for a healthy version of a granola bar and came across this on, a recipe for Homemade Energy Bars.   Each batch he’s made is a little different, using […]

4. […] and gluten free).  Hemp Pro 50 is perfect for blending in smoothies, adding to cereal or to your homemade energy bars!   It also contains 4 grams of fiber and 1200 mg of omega […]

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!