My 3 Words for 2012

by Danielle Omar on December 30, 2011

Can three words really make a difference?

I think they can.  Last December around this time, instead of making a New Year’s resolution, I created three words.  The idea is Chris Brogan’s.  The three words were to summarize my focus and efforts in the coming year, and encompass my personal and professional goals.  I wrote my words on a post-it and stuck them to my computer monitor.  By doing so, I faced them almost everyday.

And now it’s time to reflect.  How did I do?

My three words in  2011 were:  Unite ♦ Invest ♦ Refine

Remember, the words aren’t goals or resolutions, but more like guiding principles in your decision-making and intentions for the year.  With “unite,”  I wanted to connect all my loves — food, family, nutrition, and healthy living, as well as my clients. With “invest,” I wanted to invest in myself and in my business. My “refine” goal was about refining my systems and nutrition messages as well as my daily practices around exercise.

As I look back, I think I did pretty well.  I still have some work to do but the process really helped me to focus throughout the year on specific goals.  The words are a great reminder to link your intention to your actions.

So for 2012, my three words are:  Expand ♦ Collaborate ♦ Create

I plan to pursue practices that “expand” my mind.  I also want to “expand” my focus to help people in different ways. I plan to “collaborate” with other health and wellness professionals who will be able to help my clients in ways that I can’t.  This has been a mission of mine for years and this year I am excited to take it on.  And finally, I plan to “create” new products and services to help more people and to “create” daily practices in my life that keep me focused, inspired, and centered.

So, that’s it.  My plan for 2012 in a nutshell.  Wish me luck.  :)

And what about you?  Would three words work for you in 2012?   If so, please share with the world your three words…we would love to read them.

And hey, thanks for playing.  :)

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her Confident Kitchen newsletter.

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Jen (A Girl and Her Carrot) December 30, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Love this Danielle! I’m going to link to it on my new blog post (hopefully it will be posted by tonight). Oh and I’d have to say my three words include *consistent*-as in maintaining and having a consistent schedule that I can stick to in the new year (but also remain flexible as we yogis do, pun intended) *growth*-also building my business of making people feel good and *collaborate*-as in collaborating with other professionals so that clients have access to nothing but the best ;-). I hope you have very Happy New Year!

2 Danielle Omar December 30, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Love your words, Jen! Thank you for sharing. Happy New Year!!! :-)

3 Rachelle December 31, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Accommodation, clarification, and joy.

BTW, just LOVED that wonderful recipe, the spaghetti pizza one, from a friend of yours! Incredible. My pregnant gluten-intolerant sister-in-law with whom I gardened this past summer and had a bountiful harvest of 50 spaghetti squash, also loves it!

Thanks!

4 Danielle Omar December 31, 2011 at 8:41 pm

Love those words. Especially joy. So glad the recipe worked out for you, I LOVED it, too…so did my husband. It’s so creative! Thanks for stopping by my blog. :)

5 EA-The Spicy RD January 5, 2012 at 5:09 am

Love this post Danielle, and what a great idea! My three words are strength, awareness, and commitment. Hope your new year is off to a wonderful start!

6 Danielle Omar January 5, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Love those words, thanks EA. Commitment is a good one…can guide many goals. :) Happy New Year to you as well!

7 Tanya @ Dine, Dash, and Deadlift January 7, 2012 at 5:55 am

What a creative idea to use 3 words to guide the upcoming year instead of traditional resolutions and goals. Instead of resolutions, I set a 12 item “To Do” List for the year which includes a variety of things from going on 12 hikes, to decreasing my PB consumption to 2 jars a month (since it is usually about 4 jars a month!).

If I were to come up with 3 words to guide my year they would be: Discipline – As in discipline to my studies, research, and fitness goals; Patience – Especially towards my colleagues and family; and Organization – I NEED to become more organized – particularly my closet!

8 Danielle Omar January 7, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Thanks, Tanya. I like your idea of a To Do list, too…I can see that turning into a “bucket list” for the year. I’m inspired by that!! Your words are great, too…I feel you about the peanut butter. Do you make your own?

9 Kerri January 12, 2012 at 8:34 pm

I love this idea!! I am going to do this myself and share with my clients.

10 Danielle Omar January 12, 2012 at 8:39 pm

Thanks, Kerri. I think it’s a great idea to share with your clients!

11 Michele May 7, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Great idea! How are you doing so far with your 3 words? We’re 1/3 into 2012 by now – but I guess it’s not too late for me to pick three for myself.

Nurture – Create – Improve

12 Danielle Omar May 7, 2012 at 5:25 pm

It’s never too late. I love your words. I am actually doing pretty well with my words…it’s amazing the clarity you have when you focus.

13 Gluten Dude July 31, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Work Much Smarter

Not work harder or longer. Just smarter and more effectively so I can enjoy my free time more.