{recipe redux} Easy Raw Zucchini Pasta

by Danielle Omar on July 21, 2012

For July’s Recipe Redux cooking challenge, I am creating a no-cook, beat-the-heat recipe to celebrate the dog days of summer. It’s been so hot in the DC area I have hardly felt like eating, much less cooking!  This recipe is the perfect quick and easy meal. And by quick I mean it took me less than 10 minutes to make, literally.

I belong to a CSA with my mom and every week we are bombarded with zucchini!  So much that my husband has officially declared “I don’t ever want to eat patty pan squash again.” Hey, at least he tried, right?

This recipe is light and fresh, and easy to adapt to any sauce or toppings, making it a great way to get your pasta fix!  Don’t be afraid to get creative…you can easily saute the zucchini and make it a hot dish, or even add some other veggies to the bowl — this works just as well. I use this julienne peeler to shred my veggies, which I love because it’s quick and easy to clean.

Enjoy!

Easy Raw Zucchini Pasta

• 1 zucchini, washed and julienned
  • 4 small cherry tomatoes
  • 1 Tbsp basil pesto, to taste
  • Dash of salt and pepper
  • Sprinkle Parmesan cheese

Julienne zucchini and place in bowl.  Toss with the remaining ingredients.  Serve with a sprinkle of cheese.  Serves one.

Don’t forget to visit my fellow reduxers below for more no-cook recipe ideas!

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her popular weekly newsletter.

Latest posts by Danielle Omar (see all)

{ 18 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Nicole @WholeHealthRD July 21, 2012 at 2:31 pm

This looks great! I love making zucchini pasta, but I have this huge spiral slicer that I use that is not easy to put together or clean! Must get me one of those julienne slicers.

2 GRAINCRAZY July 21, 2012 at 4:33 pm

This looks so inviting and healthy Yum! I love having simple meals like this. Thanks

3 Kristina @ Love & Zest July 21, 2012 at 4:48 pm

this salad is so dainty and i really don’t want to believe it ONLY took 10 minutes to make. does that peeler have “teeth”? Is that how they come out in little strands? I have a veggie peeler, but not julienner :)

4 Danielle Omar July 21, 2012 at 8:33 pm

@Kristina the peeler does have teeth — it’s like a really sharp vegetable slicer with teeth! This dish actually only took 5 minutes, but I didn’t think anyone would believe me. :)

5 Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian July 21, 2012 at 4:57 pm

Wow, this looks so refreshing!
You know, I have never tried making a zucchini pasta before. I need to pick up that peeler

6 Danielle Omar July 21, 2012 at 8:31 pm

You will love it, Kristen! So easy!

7 ea-the spicy rd July 21, 2012 at 5:33 pm

Looks delicious Danielle, and love how easy it is! I just may need to buy your julienne slicer :-) I have a zucchini feta fritters recipe pinned to my “Delicious Recipes I’ve Made” board that you might want to make for your husband. My daughter and hubby {both not super big zucchini fans} loved them. {Me too!}

8 Danielle Omar July 21, 2012 at 8:30 pm

I will definitely check out your fritters! Thanks, EA!

9 Marie@enourishment July 21, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Great minds think alike! I just posted a zucchini caprese salad for my ReDux! Don’t you just love zucchini “noodles”?! I love the idea of adding pesto to them and my hubby will too- great recipe!

10 Marie Spano July 21, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Great idea! And so pretty. I have to figure out how to julienne zucchini easily so I can make this!

11 Danielle Omar July 22, 2012 at 12:39 am

@Marie — just get the julienne peeler, makes it so easy!

12 Diane Boyd July 22, 2012 at 2:38 am

Love the idea of using zucchini as pasta! I must invest in a julienne peeler so I can enjoy this recipe!

13 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom July 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I love this recipe! So easy and perfect for all that CSA zucchini. I am currently up to my elbows in CSA beets here in the Boston area, so I have a lot of roasting to do (but I think I’ll wait until it cools off a bit outside).

14 Danielle Omar July 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm

@Liz — I would LOVE some beets here in Northern VA — just got 3 little tiny ones in my box last week. Hopefully more are on the way! You can use the julienne slicer to make a raw beet salad, too — just FYI!

15 Mina July 23, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I LOVE this zucchini recipe and it’s now one of my go-to quick fixes!

16 Cheryl ~~ Dietitian July 24, 2012 at 2:28 pm

What a fantastic idea Danielle, I love it! Definitely going to give this a try!

17 TastefullyJulie July 28, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I love this idea of zucchini pasta. I need to get a mandoline or spiraler, though, so I don’t have to do all that slicing by hand!

18 Danielle Omar July 29, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Oh no, just get the julienne slicer…it will save you time and clean up!