{recipe redux} Asian Seaweed Salad

by Danielle Omar on May 21, 2012

This month’s recipe redux is all about the sea!  Seaweed and little sea fishies.  Since I’m not into sardines and anchovies (sorry, Mom) – I opted for the seaweed side of this challenge.  And it was quite interesting. I decided to go with what I love most and made a seaweed salad.

In case you’re wondering where to even find seaweed, let me tell you.  You have to go the Asian aisle of your grocery store.  There you will find packs of seaweed, seaweed flakes, sushi wraps, etc.   And it’s the place that I found this:

SeaVegi Seaweed Salad Mix containing 5 different sea veggies in one bag: Wakame, Agar, Sugnori, Tsunomata, and Mafunori.

So, why even eat seaweed you may be asking?  Well, sea vegetables are loaded with minerals.  They are an excellent source of iodine and vitamin K, a very good source of the B-vitamin folate, and magnesium, a good source of iron and calcium, and the B-vitamins riboflavin and pantothenic acid. They also contain some vitamin C and E.  And if that’s not enough for you, they’re also kinda fun to eat…in a slimy, fishy sort of way.

I decided to just make a simple seaweed salad, as directed on my little bag.

Here’s how it works:

This is the seaweed straight out of my bag.

Then you soak the seaweed in cold water for 7 minutes.

Then you drain the seaweed.  Isn’t it gorgeous?

Then you dress and serve.   I made a simple vinaigrette and tossed with some apple slices.

The salad was good, but it did taste a lot like the ocean.  It definitely could have used a piece of grilled salmon on top to make it more of a meal.  But I would still highly recommend this route for anyone wanting to give seaweed salad a try.  It was so simple to make and was very fresh and light — and no recipe needed!

I’m looking forward to seeing what my fellow reduxers created with their sea foods today. Aren’t you?

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her popular weekly newsletter.

Latest posts by Danielle Omar (see all)

{ 13 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Alysa (InspiredRD) May 21, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’ve never seen a seaweed salad mix before, but I’ll have to keep my eye out. Looks beautiful!

2 Danielle Omar May 21, 2012 at 4:13 pm

I had never seen it either, but the SeaSnax brand has a lot of great seaweed stuff…have you seen the seaweed snacks they have? Their tagline is Strangely Addictive and that is the truth!

3 Serena May 21, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Love, love the how-to photos as I’m trying to learn more about seaweed! Love the colors of your mix. Great idea to add apples…and good suggestion to serve w/ salmon!

4 Danielle Omar May 21, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Thanks, Serena…it was actually suggested on the back of the bag to add apples, so I can’t take the credit. :) It is a beautiful salad though, just gorgeous colors!

5 Nour Zibdeh, RD May 21, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love the addition of apples. Thanks for showing the package. I hesitate to buy anything from ethnic aisles that I don’t know, but I still want to try something new. I’ll try them out… it seems so easy!

6 Kristen @ Swanky Dietitian May 21, 2012 at 8:42 pm

YUM!
I have never had seaweed before, but all these posts out there make me realize I need to venture out more.

7 EA-The Spicy RD May 21, 2012 at 11:48 pm

This sea veggie salad mix is so pretty! Like Alysa, I’ve never seen it before, so I will definitely look for it next time I’m in the store. Love the addition of apple, plus I’m thinking some sesame seeds sprinkled on top would be a yummy addition too! Happy ReDux Danielle!

8 Elizabeth Jarrard May 22, 2012 at 9:10 am

what a fantastic mix! i’m going to see if i can find that in Boston!

9 Danielle Omar May 22, 2012 at 11:36 am

I’m sure you can! Just go to Whole Foods!

10 Janel May 22, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I need to find this mix! Once I was dying to make seaweed salad so I went to chinatown to buy some, not being able to read the label since it was in another language, so I just went for it, and soaked the dried green seaweed. It was so chewy and unappealing. I’ve been on a quest to find the right seaweed ever since! I wish I knew where to get that bright green seaweed you get in seaweed salads with sushi!

11 Nadine Nicholson May 23, 2012 at 1:47 am

I love seaweed salad! I have to say your version looks much better than Costco’s ;). Thanks once again Danielle for sharing a yummy mixture of colour and flavour!

12 Gina Bell May 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’ve got to say, without the gorgeous images you included here, I doubt I could have wrapped my brain around the idea of a seaweed salad. I think my middle ground will be to include the seaweed mix as part of a more traditional salad – to pretty it up and for added nutrients. Thanks for expanding my food horizon Danielle!! xo

13 Margo DeGange May 29, 2012 at 11:23 pm

This looks good. I will have to try it Danielle. It also reminds me of a Christmas salad because of the colors!

Thanks for the tips!