Sea Vegi Seaweed Salad Mix

Asian Seaweed Salad

This month’s recipe redux is all about the sea!  Seaweed and little sea fishies.  Since I’m not into sardines and anchovies (sorry, Mom) – I opted for the seaweed side of this challenge.  And it was quite interesting. I decided to go with what I love most and made a seaweed salad.

In case you’re wondering where to even find seaweed, let me tell you.  You have to go the Asian aisle of your grocery store.  There you will find packs of seaweed, seaweed flakes, sushi wraps, etc.   And it’s the place that I found this:

SeaVegi Seaweed Salad Mix containing 5 different sea veggies in one bag: Wakame, Agar, Sugnori, Tsunomata, and Mafunori.

So, why even eat seaweed you may be asking?  Well, sea vegetables are loaded with minerals.  They are an excellent source of iodine and vitamin K, a very good source of the B-vitamin folate, and magnesium, a good source of iron and calcium, and the B-vitamins riboflavin and pantothenic acid. They also contain some vitamin C and E.  And if that’s not enough for you, they’re also kinda fun to eat…in a slimy, fishy sort of way.

I decided to just make a simple seaweed salad, as directed on my little bag.

Here’s how it works:

This is the seaweed straight out of my bag.

Then you soak the seaweed in cold water for 7 minutes.

Then you drain the seaweed.  Isn’t it gorgeous?

Then you dress and serve.   I made a simple vinaigrette and tossed with some apple slices.

The salad was good, but it did taste a lot like the ocean.  It definitely could have used a piece of grilled salmon on top to make it more of a meal.  But I would still highly recommend this route for anyone wanting to give seaweed salad a try.  It was so simple to make and was very fresh and light — and no recipe needed!

I’m looking forward to seeing what my fellow reduxers created with their sea foods today. Aren’t you?

Join My Food Confidence Community!

Get weekly updates, program discounts, clean eating recipes and other freebies!

13 replies
    • Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

I had never seen it either, but the SeaSnax brand has a lot of great seaweed stuff…have you seen the seaweed snacks they have? Their tagline is Strangely Addictive and that is the truth!

1. Serena
    Serena says:

Love, love the how-to photos as I’m trying to learn more about seaweed! Love the colors of your mix. Great idea to add apples…and good suggestion to serve w/ salmon!

• Danielle Omar
      Danielle Omar says:

Thanks, Serena…it was actually suggested on the back of the bag to add apples, so I can’t take the credit. :) It is a beautiful salad though, just gorgeous colors!

2. Nour Zibdeh, RD
    Nour Zibdeh, RD says:

I love the addition of apples. Thanks for showing the package. I hesitate to buy anything from ethnic aisles that I don’t know, but I still want to try something new. I’ll try them out… it seems so easy!

3. EA-The Spicy RD
    EA-The Spicy RD says:

This sea veggie salad mix is so pretty! Like Alysa, I’ve never seen it before, so I will definitely look for it next time I’m in the store. Love the addition of apple, plus I’m thinking some sesame seeds sprinkled on top would be a yummy addition too! Happy ReDux Danielle!

4. Janel
    Janel says:

I need to find this mix! Once I was dying to make seaweed salad so I went to chinatown to buy some, not being able to read the label since it was in another language, so I just went for it, and soaked the dried green seaweed. It was so chewy and unappealing. I’ve been on a quest to find the right seaweed ever since! I wish I knew where to get that bright green seaweed you get in seaweed salads with sushi!

5. Gina Bell
    Gina Bell says:

I’ve got to say, without the gorgeous images you included here, I doubt I could have wrapped my brain around the idea of a seaweed salad. I think my middle ground will be to include the seaweed mix as part of a more traditional salad – to pretty it up and for added nutrients. Thanks for expanding my food horizon Danielle!! xo

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!