{recipe redux} Sno Pea Shoots & Avocado Salad with Mandarin Orange Dressing

by Danielle Omar on April 21, 2012

I have had a crazy week. Preparing for my upcoming detox, working with my individual clients, teaching my nutrition class at NOVA…it’s Friday night I am beat.  The last thing I want to do is be creative in the kitchen.  While I was thinking about what to cook for dinner I realized that it was the 20th of the month and my recipe redux post was due on the 21st!  I didn’t even know what food was being reduxed much less have a plan for it. I ran to my computer to check the website.

“Spring Shoots.” Seriously? Who has shoots lying around in their kitchen?  You might think it’s nuts, but this girl did.  I bought them earlier that week at the H Mart.

I’m not kidding.  I had Sno Pea Shoots sitting in my fridge.

Aren’t they gorgeous?  They’re also healthy.  Chock full of vitamins A, B, C and E, calcium, chlorophyll, iron, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, and protein.

Still not wanting to be creative, I remembered this awesome salad I tried at the salad bar at Whole Foods.  It was a light and airy salad consisting of edamame, some kind of sprout, avocado, and mango.  Well, I didn’t have edamame or mango but I did have avocado.  I consulted my friend zesty cook and he suggested I improvise with what I had on hand.  Which was honeydew melon and mandarin oranges.

This is what I came up with.

Sno pea shoots, avocado, honeydew melon, and orange bell pepper salad with a mandarin orange vinaigrette.  Pretty fancy pants, huh?

I think it would be perfect with some edamame, but otherwise that, it was quite tasty.  I topped it with some sliced chilled chicken breast and my husband raved.  He NEVER raves over salad.  FYI.

Here’s the recipe if you ever encounter a sno pea shoot that needs fixin.

Sno Pea Shoot & Avocado Salad with Mandarin Orange Dressing

For the salad

• 1 large handful sno pea shoots
  • ¾ cup sliced honey dew melon
  • 1 avocado, diced
  • ½ orange bell pepper, chopped

For the dressing

• Juice from 3 mandarin oranges (about 1/8 cup)
  • 1 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 tsp lemon juice
  • Salt and pepper

Combine salad ingredients in bowl.  Whisk together dressing ingredients.  Mix gently to combine.

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her Confident Kitchen newsletter.

{ 15 comments… read them below or add one }

1 elizabethjarrard April 21, 2012 at 10:52 am

i’ve never thought of combining sprouts and melon. great idea!

2 Emma Stirling April 21, 2012 at 1:00 pm

This sounds so refreshing Danielle – would it fit on your detox plan?

3 Janel April 21, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Any salad that includes fruit grabs my attention!

4 Danielle Omar April 21, 2012 at 6:43 pm

@Emma — it definitely fits on my detox plan! That’s why I had shoots in my fridge!

5 Laura Chalela Hoover April 21, 2012 at 8:04 pm

Mmmmm, looks delish. Love the idea of combining pea shoots with creamy avocado. Such a nice counter-balance.

6 Britney R. April 21, 2012 at 11:32 pm

That looks so yummy! I need to get some snow pea shoots. Way to go coming up with that at the last minute!

7 EA-The Spicy RD April 22, 2012 at 1:25 am

Love this salad Danielle! Great improvisation too! I was a last minute ReDuxer as well, only I had to go to the store to buy leeks AND pea shoots too :-) Can’t wait to try this out!

8 Alysa (InspiredRD) April 22, 2012 at 11:37 pm

Wow, I’m impressed that you pulled this off last minute! I didn’t even try with it being birthday month (both kids). This looks really good!

9 Margo DeGange, M.Ed. April 30, 2012 at 10:13 am

OMG, Danielle, I have to try this one. It looks so delicious, and I love that photo of the sno pea shoots, you can just see visually how much life they have in them. SOOOO good for you.

I love mandarin oranges, avocado (which are readily available here in TX) and melon, so this one is definitely calling me by name!

Thanks again!

Margo

10 Shannon May 3, 2012 at 10:17 am

Yum. I had made a mango, avocado and cilantro salad last week but this looks even better. Being in the north mangos are sometimes difficult to find (at least ones that taste like they are fresh) so this is a great idea instead since melons are much more abundant.

And my hubby loves any kind of sprouts! Will make this over the weekend for sure.

11 Danielle Omar May 3, 2012 at 11:25 am

Great, I hope you like it! You can certainly make it your own by adding in what you love!

12 CJ at Food Stories May 14, 2012 at 8:34 pm

Found your site through Recipe Redux and thought I’d stop by to check it out. I subscribed to your feed and can’t wait to see what your next post will be!

13 Danielle Omar May 14, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Thank you!

14 Cookin' Canuck July 3, 2012 at 1:23 pm

What a beautiful and fresh salad. In this heat, I want nothing more than a simple, flavorful salad. This would fit the bill perfectly.

I’d love for you to share this recipe (and any of your other favorite avocado recipes) in the avocado link-up/giveaway that I’m hosting with Kristen of Dine & Dish right now.http://bit.ly/NKF4rk

15 Danielle Omar July 3, 2012 at 6:26 pm