{recipe redux} Sweet and Savory Chicken Thighs

by Danielle Omar on March 21, 2012

You’re probably wondering why I’m writing about chicken.  Well, it turns out I actually make chicken — thighs in particular — at least 3 times/week for my husband.  I’ve become quite the “thigh master” over the years — I’ve got the whole process down to a science.  I try to get creative with the preparation, I’ve tested every simmer sauce, marinade, chutney and preserve they sell at Trader Joes.  And I’ve made up a few gems of my own.  Lucky for me my husband is not the least bit picky.

This month’s Recipe Redux food is maple syrup/honey.  I was going to make a salad dressing or roast some veg with maple syrup but thought — b-o-r-i-n-g. So I did a quick search online and came across this super simple recipe by the oh so cute Witty in the City.  She made pretty big claims about the deliciousness of this dish, so I kinda couldn’t resist trying it out…and maybe even impress my husband?

The recipe is so simple I won’t bother typing it out.  All you do is combine 1/4 cup maple syrup + 1/2 cup Dijon mustard + 1 Tbsp rice wine vinegar.  I used Trader Joe’s whole grain Dijon mustard but I suggest if you use this to increase the maple syrup a bit.

Then just pour the marinade over your chicken (or any meat, really).  And bake at 375 for about 45 minutes.

Witty in the City suggested a sprinkle of fresh herbs, so I topped it with some rosemary.  It looks delicious, huh?

I served it up with some veg and greens and that was dinner.  So easy.

How does it taste?  Well, my husband said it was really good but…”you better like mustard.”  That pretty much says it all, right?

What’s your favorite way to prepare chicken thighs?  Please share, I’m always looking for new recipes!

Enjoy my fellow reduxers below as they share their spin on maple syrup and honey.  Yum!

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her popular weekly newsletter.

Latest posts by Danielle Omar (see all)

{ 11 comments… read them below or add one }

1 EA-The Spicy RD March 21, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Mmm…I definitely want to try this Danielle! I pretty much always use chicken breasts, so no thigh ideas to share with you…Do you use skinless thighs? Love the addition of fresh rosemary on top too, since I have q life long supply of it in my garden :-)

2 Danielle Omar March 21, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Thanks! I actually buy bone-in, skin on because they are so inexpensive. :) I usually cut the skin off for him but I didn’t this time. I absolutely love rosemary on anything!

3 Susan @ Wish Upon A Dish March 21, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Love mustard with chicken. Probably a picnic dish as well. Looks like it will taste good at room temp and can be mixed with a brown rice salad.

4 Kristen @ swanky dietitian March 21, 2012 at 7:09 pm

This looks incredible!! Such simple ingredients too!! I will be making this!

5 Caroline @ SweetFoodie March 22, 2012 at 1:24 pm

WOW that looks delicious – needless to say, I’ll be making this for dinner ASAP. YUM!

6 Liz - Meal Makeover Mom March 26, 2012 at 3:18 pm

The recipe looks great. Always looking for new ways to add a fun zing to chicken. My hubby won’t eat it but my boys will!

7 Regan @ The Professional Palate March 28, 2012 at 1:54 pm

this looks almost as easy as a microwave cake … ha, just kidding :)

cant wait to give this a try… sweet and savory….best flavor combo on the planet!!

8 Jamie April 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Hi! I couldn’t find rice-wine vinegar at the grocery stores (looked in Asian dept too). I found wine-vinegar and rice-vinegar; but not rice-wine. Can you help? :D thanks!

9 Danielle Omar April 22, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Hi Jamie — rice vinegar should work fine!

10 Girl in purple dress April 24, 2012 at 10:45 pm

I absolutely adore maple syrup so I’ll be sure to give this recipe a go! If you like a bit of a kick, I often pan fry chicken thighs in chilli infused olive oil, but marinate first in crushed garlic, tomato paste and a bit of curry powder to taste. It’s really easy to prepare and delicious. I make sure that I remove excess fat and visible skin of course!

11 Ayla @EatSimply February 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Tried this recipe and LOVED it. This is definitely making it into my regular rotation because it takes only a few minutes to assemble. I cut up some winter veggies and threw them in the oven while the chicken was baking too and voila! A complete meal! This was a big hit with my boyfriend. Thanks.