90-Second Breakfast Idea

Ever wonder how to microwave eggs?

That’s right, I said it. The microwave. It’s pretty much 90 seconds to breakfast.  How? It’s actually super simple.

Eggs + microwave = breakfast.

I’ve explained the steps below to several clients this week so I’m thinking a blog post is in order, don’t you?  It’s funny, whenever I’m describing it, I always get the same response…I see the ewwww look come across their face like I’m asking them to eat their own toenails!  I quickly have to say “Oh, I know it sounds gross, but it’s just eggs…really!” Why doesn’t anyone ever believe me?

So, this post is in part a step by step instruction for how to microwave eggs and in part just to prove I’m not crazy.  🙂

Here’s how to get ‘er done:

Step 1:  Take eggs, milk, and add-ins out of fridge (plus a bowl or coffee mug). My fav add-in is salsa!

Step 2: Spray the bowl/mug with Pam, then add beaten eggs + some milk (I used 1 egg + 2 whites); microwave for ~90 seconds

Step 3:  After 90 seconds, stir the eggs.  At this point, you could add some shredded cheese, then cook another 30 seconds.

Step 4: Mix and eat!

That’s it, folks!  How to microwave eggs in 90 seconds with no clean up!  Of course you could make so many variations of my salsa scramble.  Below are some ideas:

• Shredded cheese
  • Chopped spinach (microwave this in the bowl first for ~30 seconds, then add egg)
  • Chopped cooked turkey, veggie or pork sausage
  • Crumbled cooked bacon
  • Chopped ham and shredded cheddar cheese
  • Leftover veggies from dinner
  • Chopped tomatoes and chives
  • Black beans and salsa (my fav!)

What’s your favorite scrambled egg-add in?

17 replies
  1. Danielle Omar
    Danielle Omar says:

Isn’t it? I’ve become quite the salsa connoisseur — always on the lookout for interesting flavors! What’s your favorite?

2. Kelly
    Kelly says:

Black bean and corn, salsa verde or blueberry actually! There’s a restaurant in my area that makes AWESOME blueberry salsa! It’s tomato based and has a little spice but just gives the right amount of sweetness.

3. Danielle Omar
    Danielle Omar says:

oooh….diced up avocado – that sounds awesome! Going to try a dollop of guacamole tomorrow morning! Thanks for the great idea. 🙂

4. Anna Shlachter
    Anna Shlachter says:

Thanks for sharing this convenient recipe Danielle! I love your suggestions for mix-ins! I work for the Egg Nutrition Center and write for our blog, Nutrition Unscrambled. Check us out for more information and research on eggs, protein and breakfast.

5. Kerri
    Kerri says:

When I was young my mom only made eggs in the microwave, and I always thought that was the way you cooked eggs… now I share this idea with clients all the time, great ideas.

6. Whitney@9 Kid Fitness
    Whitney@9 Kid Fitness says:

There are so many mornings when my kids look at the cabinets and if their favorite cereal isn’t there they complain we have no food. They all love eggs, so I’m trying this!!!!

7. Laura West Kong
    Laura West Kong says:

Interesting idea for scrambled eggs in a pinch. Thanks! I’ll have to try it some time when I’m in a hurry. Still, you can’t beat nice creamy, fluffy scrambled eggs made slowly in a double-boiler. (I can’t help it, I’m a slow food fan!)

8. Ann
    Ann says:

Been microwaving eggs since I could reach the counter–using a mug or a small bowl gives the perfect size and shape for an egg muffin. Perfect with a whole wheat bun and sliced turkey sandwich meat. And healthy.

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!