I actually had to look up goulash before writing this post because I’m pretty sure my dish is not really a goulash. I just call it that. It turns out, a real “goulash” is a Hungarian soup or stew made with meat and veggies and seasoned with paprika. This dish is more of a chili.
The idea came about in my house because I often prepare lunch for my husband who works from home. Lately, his lunches have become what I call “goulash” — a bean + meat + veggie combination of sorts — super easy for him to scoop into a bowl and reheat, and pretty satisfying.
I myself don’t eat meat but, luckily, my husband will eat anything I put in front of him. This has made for some creative goulash! I’ll admit I’ve come up with with some interesting combinations. Some fail, but most are a huge success.
For this month’s pumpkin-themed recipe redux, I couldn’t help but use pumpkin in my goulash. You can make it with canned or fresh pumpkin and it’s super easy to throw together. It’s also rather tasty….so says my taste-tester.
Below is my recipe along with some other awesome recipes using pumpkin from my fellow reduxers. Be sure to visit their pages and get inspired!
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced bell pepper (I used 1/2 orange and 1/2 yellow)
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1 can drained kidney beans
- 1 can pumpkin
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
Preparation: Brown the meat with the spices and salt. Add chopped onion and peppers, saute until soft. Add beans, pumpkin, and tomatoes; simmer about 15 minutes.
By far, the best part of the Recipe Redux — my fellow Reduxers! Please enjoy their delicious creations:
- Cherie Schetselaar – Grain Crazy – Fresh Pumpkin Risotto
- Alexandra Caspero- Delicious Knowledge – Pumpkin Enchiladas
- Katie Hamm – Healthy & Happy Hour – Pumpkin-Bacon Penne
- Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD – Sweet & Spicy Pumpkin Fries
- Everyday Tastiness – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Dr Barb, Nutrition Budgeteer – Pumpkin Chili Chicken Pizza
- Elizabeth Jarrard- Don’t (White) Sugar Coat It – Vegan Pumpkin Soup
- Kristen Bourque- Swanky Dietitian – baked pumpkin oatmeal
- Marie Spano – Gluten Free Pumpkin Muffins
- Regan @ The Professional Palate – Pumpkin Ravioli in a Walnut-Sage Cider Sauce
- Emma @ The Hearty Heart – (Vegan) Cocoa Pumpkin (Whiskey) Mousse
- Gretchen – Kumquat – baked mini pumpkins
- Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition – Recipe Redux Chermoula Chickpea & Pumpkin Sliders
- Janel Funk: Eat Well with Janel – Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Nicole @ Whole Health RD – Kaddo Bourani – Candied Pumpkin with Yogurt and Meat Sauce
- Yuri – Chef Pandita – Pumpkin Apple Soup
- Lisa @ Healthful Sense – Pumpkin Cream Pie Filling & Pudding
- Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious – Recipe Redux: Pumpkin Pancakes
- Kat Lynch – Eating The Week – Pumpkin yogurt dip for waffle sticks
- Katie Caputo- East Meats West – Pumpkin Stuffing
- Serena @ Teaspoon of Spice – Whole Pumpkin Cheddar Gratin
- Kristina @ Love and Zest – Pumpkin Mash
- Carrie Miller – Nutrition Know How – Baked Stuffed Pumpkin & Pumpkin Orange Muffins
- Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish – Pumpkin, Squash and Apple Soup
- Stephanie Howard – Give Them Something Better – Fall Harvest Chili
- Karman Meyer-Nutrition Adventures – Pumpkin-Potato Breakfast Hash
- Ayla Withee- Eat Simply – Salt and Vinegar Pumpkin Seeds
- Heather Calcote – Dietitian on the Run – Pumpkin Rosemary & Mushroom Quinoa
- Jill Melton-The Relish Dish – Ham and Cheese Stuffed Pumpkin
- EA-The Spicy RD – Pumpkin Pesto Bruschetta
- Liz Weiss & Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen – Ghoulishly Good Stuffed Sugar Pumpkin