{recipe redux} Your New Favorite Vinaigrette

by Danielle Omar on September 21, 2011

It’s Recipe Redux time and this month’s theme is condiments, spreads, and dressings.  I’m sharing with you my favorite salad dressing!!

This dressing is the backbone of my “famous” Mandarin Orange Salad.  It’s famous because if you know me, you’ve likely enjoyed this salad on many occasions.  It’s my go-to. Some of you are laughing right now because you’re sick of this salad.  And some of you are happy to finally get the recipe.   The rest of you are dying to try it, right?

Mandarin Orange Salad

• 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • 1/4 tsp dry mustard
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper

Directions:

Make the sugared almonds first by heating about 1/2 cup slivered almonds under medium heat in about 3 Tbsp sugar, stirring constantly.  As soon as they start to tan, remove from heat.  Lay out on aluminum foil until cooled.

Assemble salad ingredients in large bowl.  In a small bowl, whisk together vinegar, seasonings and oil until blended.  Stir in fresh parsley.  Add dressing to salad, top with sugared almonds before serving.

Don’t forget to visit my fellow Reduxers below for their take on condiments, spreads, and dressings.

Danielle Omar

Owner, Registered Dietitian at Danielle Omar Nutrition
Danielle creates personal eating strategies for busy men and women through individual nutrition counseling, cooking classes and digital programs. She inspires working parents, busy families, and stressed out professionals to change the way they think about food. Danielle is also a cookbook author, nutrition and culinary spokesperson, and recipe developer. Click here to sign up for her Confident Kitchen newsletter.

Latest posts by Danielle Omar (see all)

{ 12 comments… read them below or add one }

1 Lauren September 21, 2011 at 10:19 am

There’s nothing wrong with a go-to recipe. In fact, I wish more of my recipes were in the “good every time” category. Will have to try this one.

2 Meal Makeover Mom Janice September 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm

My daughters love mandarin oranges so I think they would love this salad. Thanks!

3 Regan @ The Professional Palate September 21, 2011 at 2:12 pm

While I’ve never had yours, I LOVE mandarin orange salads… but have never had a good recipe. Voila!

Thanks so much for this month’s theme. I think it turned out to be quite popular!

Will we see you at FNCE?

4 admin September 21, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Thanks ladies! I make so many variations on this salad, too…different greens, different sugared nuts. It really is tasty…I hope you all love it as much as me!

I will be at FNCE and will find all of you to say hello, for sure!!

5 Kristen @ swanky dietitian September 21, 2011 at 4:28 pm

I know I would just love this!!! I live salads with fruit!
Thanks for sharing!

6 Deanna Segrave-Daly September 21, 2011 at 9:17 pm

This will get me back into salads for sure as it reminds me of one a friend use to make that I loved. Thanks for the inspiration and can’t wait to meet you at FNCE!

7 EA-The Spicy RD September 22, 2011 at 12:42 am

This is my mom’s “go-to” salad too, and I LOVE it!!! I’ve tried to re-create it w/out her recipe, but now I know exactly what to put in the dressing :-) Thanks for sharing!

8 admin September 22, 2011 at 12:45 am

Too funny, EA! I stole this recipe from my Mom years ago! ;-)

9 Carlene September 23, 2011 at 12:56 am

Love adding the herbs in the dressing!

10 robin December 15, 2011 at 3:57 pm

Making this tonite-and adding grilled chix. thanks for the idea!

11 Danielle Omar December 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm

YAY! Let me know how it turns out. Make sure to tweak it to your tastes. :)

12 Alexis @ Hummusapien November 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This looks delicious! I love mandarin oranges in salad, and pairing it with a homemade dressing is even better!